Sunday 18 October 2015

Guest Post: Books vs Beauty





This post is guest post written by author and presenter, Jackie Kabler. Find out more about her and her debut novel below!

"When you have a full time job and are also attempting to be a writer, you find yourself constantly juggling your two lives. After twenty years as a TV news reporter, I joined shopping channel QVC as a presenter nearly three years ago. I absolutely love it - it's the ultimate girlie job, getting paid to talk about fashion, beauty, shoes and handbags on the telly. But on my days off, I have to force myself to switch into a totally different mindset, as my genre of choice as an author is murder mystery. Hence, one day I'll be on air talking about the ingredients in, and effectiveness of, the latest moisturiser or fake tan, then the next I'll be online researching the sort of injuries someone might have after a fall from a tall building, or how to kill somebody with untraceable poison.

I've often thought that if anyone looked at my internet browsing history they would be very puzzled indeed. I've just looked now, and the last four websites I've visited are:

1. A well known shoe designer.
2. Holloway prison.
3. A skincare website.
4. The page about DNA analysis on a forensic science site.

See what I mean? Definitely a bit suspicious looking! The two strands to my life are also reflected in other ways. At work, it's full make-up, high heels and sparkly jewellery. At home when I'm writing it's all about comfort - furry slippers, sloppy top and leggings. I do always wear a touch of make-up though, even then...after all, you never know who might knock on your front door

The common thread though is the fabulous support I've had from people who've watched me on TV over the years, both now at QVC and in my past career as a news reporter. So many people congratulated me when I signed a three-book deal with Accent Press last year, and so many have told me how excited they are to read my debut novel, The Dead Dog Day, which will be released on the 22nd of this month. I am so grateful for all that support, as I enter the next phase of my life, combining being a presenter and author. It's crazy, it's busy, but it's fantastic, and I'm loving every minute."

---

About Jackie Kabler: Jackie Kabler worked as a newspaper reporter and then in television news for twenty years, including nearly a decade on GMTV. She later appeared on BBC and ITV news, presented a property show for Sky, hosted sports shows on Setanta Sports News and worked as a media trainer for the Armed Forces. She is now a presenter on shopping channel QVC and her first novel, The Dead Dog Day, is now available for pre-order on Amazon ahead of its release on 22nd October.




Hope you all enjoyed Jackie's lovely post! How is your book and beauty life balanced? Let me know in the comments below.


beautybooksandbabble@gmail.com
Follow on Bloglovin' :: Follow on Twitter :: Follow on Facebook 
Follow on Instagram :: Follow on Goodreads :: Follow on Pinterest

1 comment:

  1. What a fab post! That part about Jackie's browsing history made me LOL! I'm so happy Jackie decided to make the leap and soooo excited for The Dead Dog Day! Ana @ThisChickReads

    ReplyDelete